What to Do in a Car Crash Causing Injury


If you are involved in a car crash, STOP. If you witness a car crash, and can do so safely, stop or pull over.  Call 911 to report the collision to law enforcement. If you are involved in a personal injury car crash, do not leave the scene of the collision until law enforcement allows you to leave.

Check for Injury

You should not move an injured person unless there is eminent danger. If you are injured, do not move. Always call 911. 911 Operators will ensure the police and proper emergency personnel respond to the scene.


If possible, turn on hazard lights, raise the hood or trunk of the vehicle or set out flares to notify oncoming traffic to proceed with caution.

Exchange Information

If you are a witness, provide your name and phone number to the police. They will provide it to proper insurance companies. You may or may not provide information to the drivers in the accident. If you are in the accident, you and the other driver need to exchange names, addresses, phone numbers, drivers license numbers, license plate numbers, insurance carriers, policy numbers, and your insurance agent's name and telephone numbers.

Other Witness Information

Obtain identifying information from any witnesses to the accident, and ask them to provide the same information to the police.

Take Notes

Write down as much as you remember about the accident such as where and how it occurred, what the road and weather conditions were, the speed limits, if there was a stop sign or stop/caution light, what the lighting conditions were (time of day, were street lights on, etc.), and what the automobiles were doing when the accident happened. You may be required to share these notes with the other party if you enter into litigation.

Never Take Blame

Regardless of who is at fault, do not say anything regarding blame. There may be other factors you are unaware of that may have caused the accident. An admission of guilt may be used against you later on.

Cooperate with Police

Stay at the accident scene until the police tell you that you can leave. Tell the police only the facts of what happened, and do not assume anything or read any information into the facts. Again, do not acknowledge any responsibility to anyone, including people in your vehicle, the other vehicle, witnesses or police.

It is not always simple to determine the legal matter of responsibility or liability. Inform the police of any injuries and witnesses. The police officer that takes the report should provide you with a business card and the "incident number," so that you can obtain an accident report. If a business card is not offered it, ask for it.

Call your Insurance Agent

It is important to notify your insurance agent right away, whether you are at fault or not. There is always a chance the other driver is uninsured or underinsured. Your insurance agent may ask you to provide the notes you have taken, information from the other driver, and police report information. Do not give recorded statements to any insurance company or meet with any insurance agents without consulting your Personal Injury attorney first.


Photograph the accident scene (even one or two days afterwards, preferably about the same time as the accident - if the accident was at night, also take pictures of the scene during the day). Also, take photographs of your injuries and the damages to your car.

Contact a Personal Injury Attorney

Before filling out any insurance documents, giving recorded statements to any insurance company, or meeting with any insurance company representative, call The James Law Firm, P.C. Consultation is extremely important before giving a statement to the other driver's insurance company. Do not sign any check or document from any insurance company without first consulting an experienced Personal Injury attorney. NOTE: ALWAYS be honest with your insurance company. Not doing so may cause your policy to be invalidated.

Consult a Physician ASAP

It is possible that you may not know the full extent of your injuries at the time of the accident. Various injuries may not be evident until some time later. If you do not see a doctor, it is possible to risk aggravating your injury by delaying your treatment.

Even trifling soreness may be an indicator of a more significant injury. If there is any chance you may have been injured, it is safer to see a physician as soon as possible to rule out any unseen injuries. Insurance companies have argued that individuals that fail to see a physician right away have injuries that must have resulted from an event or events that happened after the accident.

The longer you wait, the more difficult it is to connect unseen injuries to the accident. There are many things to look out for and report. They include, but are not limited to dizziness, memory loss, confusion, disorientation, nausea, headaches, blood (in any natural bodily opening) or even ringing in your ears.


Review the notes you have taken at the accident within a few days. Check to ensure that all important information is included.


Document every item that has to do with the accident. This means recording or documenting every conversation, every phone call that you have with your Personal Injury attorney, your doctor AND any insurance company in relation to your accident including the date, time and name of the person(s) that you spoke to as well as their job titles and their supervisor's names.

Keep track of all medical bills and transportation costs, estimated future medical treatment, wages lost due to the accident, and wages that may be lost in the future due to the accident. Your Personal Injury attorney will also review with you the effect the accident had on your life and your family. Your Personal Injury attorney will also help you identify any other possible losses that may be associated to your accident.

Contact Us Today

If you're a victim of a motor vehicle accident and have been injured anywhere in Iowa, don't hesitate to call us today at 515-246-8484. We represent clients in Des Moines, Davenport/Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Cedar Falls, Sioux City, Council Bluffs and more. We will travel to help you!